Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Still Frames


Today, I slept in until 10 AM. I had time to eat breakfast. I warmed up soup for lunch and made a smoothie for dessert. I marveled at the way that the streets look in the midday sun. It felt like summer. Or like the weekend in Nebraska, when I used to go out and do interesting things instead of locking myself in my dark room (lair may be a more appropriate word) to do homework. 

I love homeschooling/unschooling already, and I am only three days in. Taking Grace Llewellyn's advice in The Teenage Liberation Handbook, I am allowing myself a chance to bask in my newfound freedom and surges of creativity before I dive headfirst into my self-designed curriculum. 

But things have been happening naturally, of their own accord. I found a Craigslist ad for a job as an assistant/writer at a company that helps small businesses develop their social media outreach, and I am applying tomorrow (wish me luck). I went to tea with my English teacher to discuss Sense & Sensibility, and she offered to continue working with me, even though I have withdrawn from the school.

I am happy, and that is something that I have not been able to say for a long time. The still frames of my life are more honest, more inherently me, than they have been in a long, long time. 

I am standing inside a cafe sniffing beautiful, colorful, floral teas inside their glass jars. I am driving across town listening to the radio. I am writing my first post to you, whoever you are, wherever you are, whatever your dreams and your imperfections and the beauty inside of you. 

Let's go on an adventure together. 





(Photo by Nirrimi Hakanson)






2 comments:

  1. awww is this your first post?
    I wish you good luck on this new start :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I'm glad to have such a sweet first comment. :)

      Delete