Monday, February 20, 2012

Goosebumps



I am always so thankful for the things that inspire me and send goosebumps running up and down my arms. There is nothing like the feeling of experiencing or seeing something that makes the world seem like a more complete place. Good writing does that for me. Like the writing of Nicole Krauss and Jonathan Safran Foer, both of whom I have become obsessed with as of late. I have only read Nicole Krauss's The History of Love (which was brilliant and beautiful and will be one of my favorite books for my entire life; I can tell already). I have read nothing of Jonathan Safran Foer's, though I fully intend on ordering all of his books in the next few days. However, I have spent a good amount of time reading their quotes on Goodreads and just marveling at their words. They are the kinds of writers who, in one fell swoop, inspire me to write just in case I can someday make another person feel the way that they have made me feel, and make me never want to write again because I don't know how to say what they have already managed to say so beautifully. (They are also married, and their quotes about love are so fearlessly true that I just know it reflects on their love for each other.)

So, without further ado, here are the things that made me happy today:

This quote from Jonathon Safran Foer's most well-known book, Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close (the movie has my vote for Best Picture, too--if you haven't seen it, go now!).

This conversation between Foer and Joyce Carol Oates, from the Princeton lecture series.

This beautiful, authentic post from one of my favorite bloggers.

And, finally, this poem by Mary Oliver, which was listed at the end of Joanna's blog post. I hope that you always believe in the truth of what it says.

Before I say "sweet dreams" and leave for the night, I just want to tell those of you readers who have followed me: thank you. I have loved the opportunity to work on this blog and to have a chance to share my thoughts. You words and comments mean the world to me.

(Image here.)

No comments:

Post a Comment