Tuesday, March 20, 2012

The Day that I Lose My Wisdom (Teeth)


My bottom two wisdom teeth, both of which are impacted, are coming out tomorrow at 8 AM. I have Ben & Jerry's frozen yogurt (strawberry shortcake-flavored), popsicles, and Amy's Rice Mac & Cheese in the freezer. I have split pea and black bean and vegetable and cashew carrot ginger soups cluttering the counter. I have liquid ice packs. I have a newly-cleaned room and a newly-organized book shelf awaiting my return.

But now it is starting to get dark. I am looking out of my window at our quiet yard, and I can still see the tree, and the patio pavers, and the neighbor's house, but everything is becoming shadowy. In twelve hours, I will be lying in one of those big, strange dentists chairs as an oral surgeon puts a mask over my face, and when I wake up, my teeth will be gone, and I will come home and lie in bed for a few days.

It doesn't sound so bad, but I am starting to feel a teensy bit terrified. I don't have phobias of spiders or snakes or the dark, but I have always been afraid that my teeth will fall out or crumble or become filled with cavities. It is this fear that is prompting me to get my wisdom teeth taken out, since they are pushing against my other teeth and generally wreaking havoc, and it is this fear that makes the idea of having someone slice through my gums and drill into my jaw bone oh-so-horrifying.

So wish me luck. I will blog again and let you know how everything turned out as soon as I feel well enough! In the meantime, I will be eating Ben & Jerry's and watching Friends, high on pain medicine and swathed in blankies.

No comments:

Post a Comment